Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Pandemonium and Parade

In her last post, Owl talked about reading more literture of substance. This was brought on in part by a conversation we had late one night about reading as a form of self-enrichment, and how reading mindfully and deliberately was a skill we had both once actively cultivated, but have let rust out a bit more recently. Owl made a resolution fo rherself which she talked about in her previous post, and I wanted to do something similar, though not idential, for myself.

The first step in my plan is virtually idential to Owl's. After we had our discussion, we (too eager to wait until morning, and too fearful that we would lose momentum befoure our projects even began were we to postpone) made our way out into the main room. This was tricky, because as of the time of this conversation, less than a week ago, our living room floor was...less floor, and more book. It was carpeted with hundreds of novels, anthologies, textbooks, almanacs, and more dictionaries than anybody really needs to own. Hundreds of books, sorted into a dozen categories, waiting to be subdivided further into a score of subcategories*. Books, as you may be able to tell, are not something we take lightly here.  We collapsed beside a listing tower of non-fiction, which, spwaling out around the legs of our dining table, threatened to spill over into reference on one side and realistic fiction on the other. (You will be pleased to note, incidentally, that this madness is now all happilly contained to our seven bookshelves. And it only took a week) Sorting through the stacks, we together selected just over a dozen books. They currently live by Owl's nightstand, and the idea is that we will each pick one from the stack every month and read it. Eventually we will both have read all the books in the stack, so that when we throw parties we can delight all of our guests by our eerily-uniform knowledge of archaic Chinese burial customs.

...wait,  what do you mean thats not what people talk about at parties? A-are you sure? 

Anyhow, though it might not be quite the party trick I was hoping it would be, we have a pretty exciting selection of books. I admit to having read some of them before. I've kept most of the books I used in college, either as assigned textbooks or as research material, and they are among the most prized installations in my library. Owl very patiently let me pile on a fair few books on my two major collegiate interests: Chinese history and culture, and archaeology. There is a big difference between reading a book for class and reading it for pleasure, however, and I look forward to approaching these books from a new perspective, nd at my own pace. The rest of the books were either picked out by Owl as pertaining to one of her particular areas of study, as is the case with Terror in the Land of the Holy Spirit, her current read, or were chosen since their subject was of interest to us both, or sufficienly unfamiliar to us that we felt we had much to learn from it.

Currently, I am (re)reading a book I read for the special first-year seminar all freshman at my alma mater were required to take. My particular course was Supernatural Japan, and we studied Japanese ghosts and monsters as they pertained to Japanese media and culture. This was a topic that stayed with me all throughout college---in a wonderfully cyclic coincidence, I ended up writing a paper on the pervasiveness of yōkai (妖怪) , Japanese monsters, in popular culture for my Asian Studies seminar my final semester. The book is entitled Pandemonium and Parade: Japanese Monsters and the Culture of Yōkai by Michael Dylan Foster,  and it was one of the first (if not the first) book I ever read at the collegiate level. It was formative in shping my mindset as a scholar, or at least as a reader of scholarly works, but save for the few chapters I consulted for the aforementioned capstone paper, I have not had the opportunity to revisit this work since I was a freshman. I am only a few chapters in but I am enjoying the experience immensely, and it is good to be reading metacognitively again.

The second step in my plan is to write more about what I read. This will force me to read carefully and analytically, will help me cogitate on what I have read, and will ensure that I understand it well enough to speak (or type) coherently about it. You can expect to see some, if not all, of that writing here in the coming months. If hearing me talk about archaeology bored you before, just wait until I start talking about some of my favorite archaeology textbooks! No but seriously, they're superb.

Stay tuned for more talking about reading, and possibly pictures of our sea of books! Maybe even pictures of our pretty, organized bookshelves, if you're lucky.

*And if you're really interested, we can provide you with that breakdown. We have lists. And labels! And pictures. 

3 comments:

  1. A party where archaic Chinese burial customs don't find up is not a party worth attending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? That has always been my philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, we should probably tag these, huh? -Raven

    ReplyDelete